To make this italian inspired summer beauty, these are the ingredients you’ll need.
For 1 – 2 servings
– two tablespoons of Extra Virgin olive oil
– about 1/4 teaspoon of dried Arrabiata herbs (or use dried chili flakes and origano)
– one cup (or ladle) risotto (arborio)
– 1,5 cups boiling water
– 2 dl poultry stock (Lacroix)
– a good splash of Limoncello liqueur (depending on how strong you want the taste to come trough, for me about two tablespoons is will do)
– the zest and juice of an organic lemon
– about 60 – 80 grams of grated Parmigiano reggiano cheese
– 1/2 white onion, cut into small slices
– 1 clove of garlic, mashed
– 1/3 fennel + foliage, both chopped
– about one teaspoon of fresh dill, chopped
– a sprinkling of sea salt
(finishing) The topping
You just add the topping when he risotto is already on the plate. The vibrant red crab meat looks pretty on top.
– 120 grams of King crab (canned crab meat, I used the Delhaize house brand)
– a knob of butter (at room temperature)
If you don’t like crab you can replace it with one of the following ingredients: langoustines, lobster, scallops.. even lamb chops, chicken filets or beef make a great topping!
Let’s start cooking! (tip: it’s best to use a wooden spoon to stir.)
– take a big frying pan or cooking pot and heat (low to medium heat) about 2 spoons of olive oil
– then we infuse the oil by adding the Arrabiata herbs & by grating over the garlic
– add the onions and the fennel (only the flesh at this stage), give it a good stir
– when the vegetables are slightly fried add in the risotto
– gently stir together with the vegetables
– pour over the boiling water and the poultry stock, just more than enough to cover the risotto
– stir the mixture around and cover the pan with a lid
– let it boil until the risotto has absorbed most of the liquid
– if that’s done, put the lid aside, we’re going to gently stir the risotto around*
– we’re going to stir in the knob of butter, add the parmesan cheese, grate over the zest and pour in the juice of 1/2 lemon..
– sprinkle over some sea salt, and finish of with the fennel foliage and dill.. make sure you stir it good so that the tastes merge..
.. that’s it for the cooking part..
– spoon the risotto on a plate and decorate with the topping, being the (leaked) King crab (as you prefer)
– Give it a little bit extra zing by splashing over a little bit of lemon you’ve got left
* to make sure it’s al dente (with a bit of a bite), you push a little bit of the risotto around and if the sauce and risotto slowly refill and you can see the bottom of the pan for an instance, then you’re ready for the next step
Feel free to share my recipes! Now, I will shut it up 😉 and let you enjoy your makings!